Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thoughts on Sick Days

I realize I'm in the minority here, but when I'm sick, I stay home. Sure, there are exceptions for once-in-a-lifetime, unmissable events (or I'm sure there would be if I ever had any of those), but in the interest in getting well faster and getting as few other people as possible sick, I don't go out when I'm, say, coughing or sneezing uncontrollably, or running a fever.

I just have a cold, but I've been home the past couple days, and I've noticed a few things.

Constant Comment tea is still delicious. This amuses me because I've done my best to become a tea snob over the past year or so. I used to be an occasional tea drinker, and now I'm an almost-every-day tea drinker, and I order loose tea from Upton and make it in a French press. Generally speaking, no teabag-originating tea can come close to the richness and mouthfeel of a good tea brewed from loose leaves, though my parents have a big box of Trader Joe's Irish Breakfast, and that stuff is pretty potent. But since I'm sick, I'm drinking tea with honey, and only Constant Comment really works that way for me. It's just black tea with cinnamon and orange rind, but it's so delicious. I leave my almost-empty teacup sitting on the coffee table all day long and it's like having a bowl of potpourri out. It makes me want to fix cinnamon rolls or something. But I won't, because that's exertion, and I'm sick.

Which leads me to my next point: being sick makes me want to eat pastry. This is generally not a problem I have. Maybe the same overpowering sweetness that turns me off most of the time is one of the few flavors that can get to my congestion-dulled taste buds. However, I don't keep that stuff in the house, and going out while sick is strictly curtailed, so no pastry for me. I could always eat raisin-date-walnut instant oatmeal with a little cinnamon sugar on top.

Daytime television is nowhere near as bad as it used to be, at least if you're like me and have a nearly infinite tolerance for crime dramas of various descriptions.

Sick days are a knitter's best justification for having a yarn stash. I've knitted through most of mine. Don't ask me how many sweaters a girl honestly needs: fewer than I've got, probably, but I'm not stopping anytime soon.

Time for some tea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home