Monday, October 22, 2007

Peace

After weeks and weeks, it finally rained here in Charlottesville. It woke me up right at 6:00 in the morning on Friday. At first, I thought, "What is that sound?" It sounded like television static, or like my upstairs neighbor was running his dishwasher. Then as I shook off the sleep-fog, I realized it was the sound of a downpour. I got up and went over to the window and just stood there for a minute, watching the rain fall in the dim pre-dawn light and feeling the wind on my face.

The air has that feeling again tonight: it feels soft somehow, and there's a breeze that's just a little too vigorous to be friendly.

I've been craving quiet lately, and enjoying spending time alone. I used to find it lonely in the evenings with no roommates to keep me company. Last year I would stay up long after I was tired enough to sleep, just to talk to people online whom I was going to see the next day at school anyway. I haven't figured out what's different now. Life just feels less urgent, I guess.

It's a good feeling. I hope I can hang onto it for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home