Thursday, August 24, 2006

Pride

I should probably retract my earlier gloat about making out like a bandit at the PILA sale. I seem to have bought the wrong edition of my Torts casebook, which I realized around 8:00 last night when I tried to do my Torts reading. Fortunately my book contained two of the three cases that were assigned, and I have some very generous and helpful section-mates, but I did experience a brief Moment of Terror. Easygoing and chill are not words I would self-apply.

I met up with Jeff for dinner last night here on the mall. We intended to try out Himalayan Fusion, which I still want to check out, but, lured by low prices on the menu posted in the window, ended up at Eppie's instead. For $6, I got baked sweet potatoes, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, steamed broccoli and cornbread, in such portions that I couldn't finish them, and I was really hungry. Everything was delicious. Eppie's is also about two blocks from where I live, which is good because Five Guys is even closer, and I need a tempting alternative to their burgers within easy reach.

The first day of classes yesterday was, dare I say it, fun. You know your Crim class is going to be good when the first comment is, "I think people who kill their children should have the option of choosing sterilization over other forms of punishment," and everybody laughs. And then after class you end up talking about crime and punishment out in the garden, because the class seemed too short.

Living alone is taking some getting used to. It's very quiet. I don't have much of an attention span, so it's remarkably easy for me to get distracted by my thoughts. It's funny: I used to be able to read, or knit, or whatever for hours on end, and now my thoughts are always wandering. I hope that through practice I'll be able to get my focus back.

3 Comments:

Blogger barista brat said...

i'm really interested what kind of discussions will be held on the lawn after class.

btw - is james the same as "yellow redneck blues" james?

8/25/06, 2:01 AM  
Blogger Gwen said...

I don't know what "yellow redneck blues" means, so I'm going to say no.

Mostly what we discuss after class (when we're not too exhausted to put together a sentence) is whether the decisions we've just studied were correct. One thing that's both frustrating and cool about law school -- at least as I'm experiencing it -- is that you read tons of cases without knowing whether the decisions the courts made were later overturned by later decisions. So we're learning about the law from cases, but we don't know whether the law we're learning is the law as it now stands.

Boy, that just sounds utterly fascinating, doesn't it? No wonder nobody wants to talk to lawyers.

8/25/06, 4:31 PM  
Blogger barista brat said...

it actually IS really fascinating.

i never realized it would be taught in that manner. i assumed you would learn about where a law came from and how it has been modified over time. i can't wait to read more updates on your blog!

8/25/06, 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home