Monday, July 16, 2007

Drift

I decided I needed a change of scenery today, so I headed to C'ville Coffee, which I've been meaning to check out. It's a bad sign when I order a double espresso ristretto and the barista says, "A double espresso what?" But sometimes they just call it "short," so I stuck with it. The second bad sign is the question, "For here?" The third is when the barista pulls shots into a pitcher rather than directly into a cup. And the fourth is when the store doesn't even own demitasses, and you get your espresso in a mug.

The espresso doesn't really taste like anything. I was worried it'd be sour and harsh, like bad espresso so often is, but it's actually just bland. Drinkable, but disappointing.

Anyway. The summer is going really well. This past weekend was a little stressful because the Powers that Be at the law school decided to make the deadlines for the first round of course registration and the first round of firm interview applications coincide. So I spent several days in a row glued to my computer, growing glassy-eyed as I clicked "Request Interview" over and over and pondered the relative importance of pro bono policies, dress codes, billable hour requirements, office locations and practice areas. Now, thankfully, all that is over, but I didn't really have a weekend.

On the other hand, I did have about a week and a half of vacation, including a weekend with my parents celebrating my dad's birthday and a week in Pittsburgh visiting James. It was all very nice and it's been incredibly hard getting back into the swing of things at home. With six weeks left now until school starts up again, I'm trying my best not to sleep away the rest of the summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home