Monday, December 11, 2006

Crash

Today I took my first law school exam, and plainly, I survived.

I think I'm through panic, remorse, anger and bargaining, and on to numbness. Which is good, because I have three exams left to study for and take, and no time for silly things like emotions.

This semester did not go according to plan in any way, except in that I did in fact do the reading for and attend the vast majority of my classes. I thought I'd have school and sleep as my main activities, perhaps with small amounts of time set aside for church and for some sort of extracurricular activity (just one, of course). I wanted to read between classes and have weekends free. Of course, that was when I thought I'd be living with someone and wanted to have lots of time to spend with him doing non-school stuff. That's not how it happened. I spent Sundays reading, poured a huge amount of time into a political campaign, missed school twice to go to political events, lost my grandmother, went to church a grand total of five times all semester, stayed up until 3 a.m. working on a memo, went weeks on end without grocery shopping, and cried a lot. With the possible exception of the political involvement, I don't want to do any of that again next semester. Well, the Sundays reading weren't so bad, but really, if I can avoid that I will.

This is not to say that it was a bad semester, or that I don't like law school. I'm actually looking forward to doing all of this again in the spring. It's just that I could really use a break, preferably one involving several 12-hour nights of sleep. And although I still don't, and have no intention of starting, I now understand why law students drink so much.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

I certainly hopw your second semester is much, much better.

12/16/06, 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home