Thursday, November 16, 2006

Wealth

Apparently it's easier for me to turn out a 17-page legal memo than a 300-word blog entry. Everything with a deadline takes precedence over everything without a deadline, which is perhaps not as it should be, but I have to say that at the very least I'm getting better at meeting deadlines.

It's that time of the semester. The quiet study room is full on Thursday afternoons. You get out the syllabus to look up tomorrow's reading and cringe at how few classes are left before exams. It's dark when you get up and dark when you leave school, and too cold to study outside, so you don't see too much daylight. We're all still smiling at each other in the hallways, though, so we can't be too miserable yet.

It's times likes this when I'm glad I came here alone. I don't envy my friends who are married, or those whose boyfriends or girlfriends moved here with them. I love always knowing that I can get up at six in the morning to finish that Torts reading if I need to, or do laundry (oh wait, that reminds me!) in the middle of the night, without disturbing anybody, and I'm relieved that no one feels neglected if I need to retreat into my shell for a few hours, or even days.

I wish I could remember better what I thought law school was going to be like. When I start feeling overwhelmed, I think of what my best days were like at my previous jobs. I found plenty to like wherever I was: at Starbucks I loved tasting different coffees and training new partners; at the bank I loved learning about retirement savings and helping the other tellers find what was throwing them out of balance. Here, though, nearly everything I do is interesting. It's often also frustrating, repetitive, and hard to concentrate on, but it's interesting. For the first time in my life, I have way too much to think about and way too many opportunities. It is a wonderful problem to have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home