Monday, June 05, 2006

I Never...

I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do at U.Va. and in Charlottesville this time around. I may have mentioned that I spent way too much time working as an undergrad. I lived and breathed radio. I never even did homework without doing something else at the same time. And I certainly didn't get involved in the University community at all.

To wit, as an undergrad, I never...
  • ... joined a student organization
  • ... visited Monticello
  • ... went to a frat party
  • ... attended a single activity at my church
  • ... volunteered for anything non-radio-related
  • ... voted in any election
  • ... made a friend in any of my classes that I didn't already know from work, high school, or summer camp
I think there were a number of reasons that I missed out on so much, but none of them apply now, so I'm ready to actually be a student and enjoy it. August can't come soon enough for me.

On the other hand, the idea of leaving Pittsburgh doesn't make me very happy. James and I have spent these past few Sundays visiting with friends and family, and that's been wonderful. I hope we can keep that up when we move. It's a scant 2.5 hours to my parents' place from Charlottesville, so we could drive up for the day any time we want. And I'm sure we'll come back to Pittsburgh from time to time (that's what I keep telling everyone), but it's hard to imagine not being able to walk into Starbucks or church or the bank and see lots of familiar faces. I guess I will get to that point pretty quickly once we move, but there are a lot of people here I'll miss. I'm consoling myself by inviting all of them to come visit me down in VA.

1 Comments:

Blogger ESQ-JD said...

Interest - I'm transferring from PITT to UVA as a 2l.

7/31/06, 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home