Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Not Quite Comatose

I've been a Law School Discussion junkie since the day I discovered the site last October. Now that most everybody knows where they're going to school in the fall, the boards are full of advice for 0Ls and people discussing their summer plans.

One interesting thing about law school is that people start it at different points in their lives. With few exceptions, first-year undergrads are 18 or so, have finished high school a few months before, and are moving out of their parents' houses for the first time. Incoming law students are coming from all sorts of different situations. There are people who are married, with kids, and quitting high-paying jobs to go back to school. There's the straight-from-undergrad crowd, piggybacking student loans on top of each other. There seems to be a huge number of people in roughly my situation: out of college five years, sick of being broke and moving every six months, ready to make a larger commitment.

I'm very lucky to be in the position to take the summer off. From what I've read, this is a good thing to do 0L summer. I'm getting myself as relaxed as possible, while trying to work through some lingering personal stuff that I haven't had the time to process over the past few years. I just spent a week with my parents, which was great. I can't remember the last time I did that. I'm listening to Mark Kozelek, which is hard to do unless you're really relaxed (his pacing tends to be very slow, but there's a great intensity in his songs if you have the patience to wait for it). I've been knitting very simple things. It's good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home